Anita James Counselling – Privacy Notice (Clients)
I may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes. This policy is effective from November 2020.
What information do I collect?
At an initial appointment I ask about your current personal circumstances. I may also ask about your background and the issues that are affecting you now. I require this information so that I can decide how I may best help you. If you engage in individual or couple therapy, I will take notes of each session to enable me to provide an appropriate level of therapeutic support.
What do I use your information for?
- To provide you with the professional therapy and support services requested.
- To notify you about changes to my services, including any scheduled appointments or course bookings.
- To administer my service, including the arrangement of appointments and for financial control.
- To fulfil my administrative, legal and contractual obligations as a therapy service.
What information do I share?
I will not share any information about you with other organisations or people, except in the following situations unless we are required to do so by law.
- Consent – Anita James Counselling may share your information with health professionals or others whom you have requested or agreed I should contact.
- Serious harm – I may share your information with the relevant authorities if we have reason to believe that this may prevent serious harm being caused to you or another person.
- Compliance with law – I may share your information where I am required to by law or by the regulations and other rules to which I am subject.
- As part of the backups of encrypted data processed and held by professional IT security companies.
How do I keep your information safe?
All information you provide to me is stored as securely as possible. All paper forms and correspondence are kept in locked filing cabinets on my premises. All electronic records are stored on a secure, password protected computer, or by reputable service providers using secure internet ‘cloud’ technology.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is never completely secure. Although I will do our best to protect your information using industry-standard protocols and encryption, I cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to me via email; any transmission is at your own risk.
Your identifiable personal information is kept separately from any therapy notes, and other descriptive material. All therapy notes are kept and stored in accordance with GDPR guidelines and BACP’s Ethical Framework. Therapy notes and other documentation are destroyed 7 years after the end of therapy
You have the right to ask us to provide a copy of the information held by me in our records. You also have the right to require me to correct any inaccuracies in your information. If you would like to do this, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may withdraw your consent for me to hold and process your data at any time. However, if you have received therapy from me, I am required by law to retain data for our records for 7 years. You can withdraw your consent by writing to me at email@example.com. All requests will be responded to within 30 days.
ICO Reference Number: ZA196163
Anita James Counselling, 23 Tyrone Road, Southend on Sea, SS1 3HE